Career Opportunity – Accounting Manager
Renaissance BioScience Corp. is a leading global biological engineering company. We believe biology can transform our world by creating the things we need in healthier, more productive, and sustainable ways. Using our proprietary biological engineering platform, we create transformative solutions to real-world problems in global industries like food and beverage, agriculture, chemicals, and healthcare.
Looking for scientists, entrepreneurs, and imagineers.
We spend our working hours custom crafting microorganisms that help humanity.
Interested in joining us? Let's talk.
Our Employee Values:
- Communication = Open, honest, and effective communication is the cornerstone of how we work.
- Teamwork = We are accountable individually and as part of a team. Every person—across all departments and levels—are valuable members of our team.
- Entrepreneurship = Our company is founded on an entrepreneurial mindset driving technological innovation in biology. Asking "what's possible", and questioning "what's not."
To help build our leading research and development team, we aim to hire smart people who are self-starters and results-driven. If you are a team player looking for an opportunity to grow your career in a fast-paced, rapidly growing life sciences company, please consider applying for the opportunity below today.
Renaissance is looking for an experienced, innovative, results-oriented Accounting Manager to manage the accounting and financial reporting for the company and its subsidiaries. This role will be based out of our offices located on the University of British Columbia’s main campus, in beautiful Vancouver, BC.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, and as a member of the finance team, the Accounting Manager will be responsible for the administration and management of all company accounting, including establishing, maintaining, and monitoring accounting principles, procedures, and controls. Responsibilities also include the preparation of consolidated financial statements, reporting results and working with external auditors, and ensuring that all company deadlines are adhered to. You will be required to perform various types of financial analysis and account reconciliations and will supervise and review the work performed by a small team. You play an integral role in long-range financial and operational planning by providing various analyses, budgeting, forecasting, and financial reports to the Executive Leadership Team.
This role also provides an opportunity to assist with the administrative and IT functions of our company to ensure all office systems and processes are appropriate and functioning.
Our ideal candidate is an independent thinker and problem solver that thrives on teamwork in an innovative and highly collaborative environment.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Day To Day Accounting Activities
- Hands-on management and/or administration of all Company accounting
- Prepares quarterly and annual financial statements in accordance with applicable accounting standards, including consolidation of companies
- Prepares working papers and journal entries for more complex accounting transactions including, but not limited to, share-based payments, debt, taxes, SR&ED credit, and intercompany billing
- Reviews all working papers and journal entries prepared by employees/consultants under supervision to maintain accurate and timely financials including, but not limited to, monthly bank and credit card reconciliations
- Ensures appropriate classification and treatment of revenues, expenses, and other income/ expenditures in accordance with the applicable accounting framework and SR&ED guidelines.
- Manages banking transactions
- Oversees collection of customer invoices and payment of vendor invoices
Financial Reporting and Filing
- Generates and develops financial information and tools including forecasts, budgets, and business plan analysis
- Creates and manages corporate policies, procedures, and controls in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Practices (GAAP) for a publicly listed company
- Ensures the accurate filing of all necessary statutory reporting
- Periodically reviews accounting and regulatory standards and implements necessary changes to monitor and ensure compliance
- Designs financial models, cash flow analysis, and other cost/benefit analyses
- In consultation with the CFO, evaluates, analyzes, and makes recommendations on financial information, results, variances, trends, and analysis
- Manages the annual financial audit and tax returns, interim reviews, and other accounting engagements as applicable.
- Reviews and reports on cash balances, forecasts, and cash requirements
- Manages and administrates the company’s Stock Option Plan
Administration and IT Functions
- Oversees and is responsible for ensuring licensing agreements are in adherence for customers and vendors
- Leads and manages the Accounting and Administration team through training, mentoring and review and approval of work product
- Assists the CFO with short and long-range financial and operational planning
- Manages IT support for the company through an external provider
Education & Experience Required:
- CPA designation
- Minimum 6+ years experience in an Accounting or Finance role including experience with accounting transactions and preparation of consolidated financial statements and note disclosure.
- Considerable knowledge of financial reporting under IFRS. US GAAP experience is considered a strong asset.
- Advanced skills in Intuit QuickBooks and Microsoft Office including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Experience with developing, maintaining, and monitoring effective internal controls.
- Demonstrated ability to proactively identify areas of continuous improvement, recommend strategies for addressing system weaknesses and lead a team to implement such strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively to meet corporate goals.
- Demonstrated success effectively managing and mentoring a team.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate in English to clearly express ideas in written and verbal communications.
- Demonstrated problem-solving attitude; including performing necessary research to optimize policies and practices.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize workload and allocate time/resources accordingly to provide high-quality work products by set deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and follow policies for efficiency and accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and in a team setting; strong self-starter work ethic/attitude
- Demonstrated ability to adapt and thrive in an entrepreneurial, growing, and changing work environment.
This is a full-time, permanent role. General workdays are 9:00 am – 5:00 pm Monday to Friday; occasional evening and/or weekend work required to meet deadlines
How to Apply
Please email your resume and a brief cover letter indicating why you feel you are a fit for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate Accounting Manager in the subject line. We would like to thank all applicants who apply. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, thank you.
About Renaissance BioScience Corp.
Renaissance BioScience Corp. is a privately held, global, industry leading biological engineering company based in Vancouver, Canada. Renaissance develops functional, market-ready microorganisms for the global food and beverage, agriculture, chemicals, and healthcare industries. Detailed information about the Renaissance group of companies can be accessed at renaissancebioscience.com.