Renaissance is looking for a proactive and collaborative Lab and
Scientific Project Coordinator to join our R&D team on a 13-month
maternity leave contract basis. This role will be based out of our
office located on the University of British Columbia’s main campus, in
beautiful Vancouver, BC.
Reporting to the Chief Scientific
Officer, the Lab and Scientific Project Coordinator will be responsible
for coordinating the effective utilization of laboratory resources
(personnel, equipment, and time) to facilitate the efficient and
successful execution of Renaissance’s R&D projects.
and Scientific Project Coordinator is also responsible for ensuring the
smooth operation and coordination of day-to-day lab and office
operations, office safety and project management.
candidate would be a strong laboratory administrator with exceptional
organizational and communication skills complemented by a scientific
background. Knowledge and skills training in project management,
specifically the development and utilization of project management
systems is a strong asset.
Lab and Office Coordinator - Approximately 75% of the role
- Ensures all labs are functioning
efficiently and safely according to good laboratory/ best practices, and
that established SOPs are implemented and
- Ensures all lab equipment needed is
functioning, properly maintained and calibrated and maintains records
for equipment use and preventative maintenance
- Maintains inventory, including
documentation and archives, for microbiology culture collection, other
R&D samples, laboratory notebooks, equipment,
- When required, liaises with third
parties such as equipment and consumables suppliers, contractors,
service companies, auditors, cleaning and waste
management services, etc.
- Coordinates yeast strain shipments to
and from external partners, collaborators, and all third parties,
according to established SOPs
- Coordinates incoming and outgoing data from third-party laboratory testing of yeast and other samples.
- Generates certificates of quality
analysis (COAs) and specification sheets from the specified data for
various samples/products tested
- Responsible for the correct and timely
inventorying, ordering, and reconciling of all lab and office supplies
and equipment, including identifying
cost saving opportunities
- Assists in tracking and reporting on lab expenditures for the purposes of establishing and maintaining R&D budgets
- Drives continuous improvement of the
lab and its personnel through the identification, planning,
implementation, and maintenance of efficient lab operations
- When required, advises senior
management—through both verbal and written reporting—on lab function,
including both new initiatives and
- When required, provides administrative assistance to the CSO
- Facilitates the coordination of administrative offices with respect to operations, logistics, and information technology
- Manages phone line/voicemail system for the office and lab
- Receives distributes/send incoming and outgoing mail/parcels and couriers; identifies cost effective/timely delivery methods
- Responsible for reviewing final timesheets for the lab staff to ensure they are accurate and complete
- Assists with the onboarding of new lab employees
- Oversees vacation and sick day leave for lab staff and maintains the lab calendar
- Other duties as required
Laboratory & Office Safety
- Develops, implements, and is responsible for Renaissance’s
safety program including chemical, biological, hazardous materials, and
- Coordinates all WHMIS, safety, first aid, orientation, and other training
- Ensures Renaissance is meeting all regulations and codes with respect to safety including leading the Company’s Safety Committee
- Prepares and maintains all safety documentation (e.g. MSDS, EMP, SOPs, and hazard assessment etc.)
- Identifies and controls hazardous materials & ensures lab personnel's awareness of hazardous materials
- Conducts a monthly lab inspection, annual internal audits and follows up with audit deficiencies and lab incidents
- When required, advises senior management—through both verbal and written reporting—on lab and office safety
- Works with the CSO and CBDO to develop and consistently maintain
a holistic understanding of the ongoing and forthcoming internal and
projects, including scope, timing, and required resources and
- Employs project management tools and best practices to
effectively manage multiple concurrent projects, each with multiple
internal and external stakeholders
and required resources
- Continually monitors project progress against up-to-date project
plan to ensure internal and partner-driven project objectives,
and budgets are being met
- Works with CSO to develop and oversee a departmental budget as it relates to lab and scientific project management
- Monitors and reports on project success—both at the individual
and departmental level—by identifying, capturing, and analyzing key
indicators and cost metrics
- Regularly meets with the CSO, CBDO and Lead Science Team to
update project progress and to proactively coordinate the modification
of project plans
as required to ensure timely and on budget project completion
- Proactively identifies and resolves project completion
roadblocks when objectives, timeline and/or resources are altered or
- Coordinates the timely and accurate reporting of project
progress by key internal stakeholders (e.g. Lead Science Team) as
required by the project
plan. Ensures progress reports meet content requirements and
- When required, assists CSO to collate project data and/or
reports to provide high-level R&D updates internal and external
Education & Experience Required
- BSc in a related field, and at least 4 year’s coordination experience in a research laboratory.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) training is an asset.
- GLP, QA/QC, and industrial lab management experience is an asset.
- Experience managing multiple concurrent projects, each with multiple internal and external stakeholders and required resources
- Experience managing a lab safety program
- Demonstrated understanding of how
scientific R&D departments integrate and collaborate to meet R&D
and commercial objectives.
- Demonstrated success in identifying,
planning, implementing and maintaining operational management systems so
as to facilitate the efficient operation
of an R&D laboratory.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively
communicate and present in English; clearly express ideas in written and
- Demonstrated ability to exercise
independent judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in
selecting methods, techniques and evaluation
criteria for obtaining and evaluating project results.
- Demonstrated troubleshooting, problem solving and critical thinking including.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to
track and report on project success—both at the individual and
departmental level—by identifying,
capturing, and analyzing key performance indicators and cost
- Demonstrated ability to track and report on a departmental budget.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize workload and allocate time/resources accordingly.
- A strong work ethic to coordinate and
complete individual and teamwork under tight deadlines in a fast paced
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement policies, SOPs, and GLP initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and
coordinate excellent records for all lab operations functions including
lab notebooks, inventory, equipment, maintenance,
waste disposal, reagents, culture collections, sample records,
specification sheets, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and in a team setting; strong self-starter work ethic/attitude.
- Demonstrated ability to lead change, adapt and thrive in an entrepreneurial, growing, and changing work environment.
- Demonstrated success effectively
leading and mentoring junior scientific staff to accomplish goals and
celebrate their successes.
This is a full-time 13-month contract
role. General workdays are Monday to Friday, with the requirement for
flexibility to work weekends (for scientific experiments), when
How to Apply
Please email your resume and a brief cover letter indicating why you feel you are a fit for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate Lab and Scientific Project Coordinator in the subject line.
We would like to
thank all applicants who apply. Please note that only those selected
for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, thank you.
About Renaissance BioScience Corp
Renaissance BioScience Corp. is a privately held, global,
industry leading biological engineering company based in Vancouver, Canada.
functional, market-ready microorganisms for the global food and beverage, agriculture, chemicals, and healthcare industries. The wholly owned commercial subsidiaries of
Renaissance BioScience Corp. include Renaissance Yeast Inc., which
wine yeast; Renaissance Ingredients Inc., which commercializes
acrylamide-reducing baker’s yeast; and Bright Brewers Yeast Inc., which
beer yeast technologies.
Apply by Email