Renaissance is looking for an organized and detail orientated Lab Assistant to join our Research Team. This role will be based out of our offices located on the University of British Columbia’s main campus, in beautiful Vancouver, BC.
Reporting to the Lead Development Scientist, and as a member of the R&D team, the Lab Assistant will be responsible for keeping the laboratory clean, organized, and in proper working condition by preforming non-experimental lab duties such as glassware washing and sterilization, media preparation, routine lab housekeeping, inventory of general use supplies, and basic maintenance of common use equipment.
This role is ideal for someone who is starting their lab career and wants to learn and contribute in a supporting role.
Responsibilities Include, but are not limited to:
- Stocks the R&D laboratory with clean sterile glassware by cycling dirty glassware through the dishwasher, autoclave, and drying oven.
- Works in close partnership with R&D team to monitor & record the CO2 loss performance of hundreds of micro scale beer/wine/cider fermentations.
- Precisely weighs media bottles on a laboratory scale and records and graphs data using Microsoft Excel.
- Monitors the inventory of general use media, and when required, prepares fresh media following standardized recipes.
- Preforms routine laboratory housekeeping functions such as recycling activities, biological waste sterilization and disposal, sterilization of laboratory supplies such as pipette tips & plate spreaders, cleaning and organization of laboratory walk-in cooler.
- Takes inventory, orders requested supplies, and organizes the receipt & storage of common use laboratory supplies.
- Schedules and preforms routine basic maintenance of common use equipment (scales, pipettes, freezers, centrifuge, autoclave & dishwasher, laminar flow hood).
- Stores and maintains equipment service and operation manuals.
- Monthly maintenance and monitoring of laboratory RO water system.
- Ensures the laboratory is clean and organized.
Assists the Laboratory Safety Officer in ensuring a safe work environment.
- Writes SOP’s for new maintenance activities.
- Other Duties, as required.
Education & Experience Required:
Undergraduate degree in a science field or College diploma (laboratory technician or technologist) with minimum one year working experience in a laboratory setting (GLP lab experience considered an asset).
Ability to initiate and find new ways of improving lab efficiency through organization.
Ability to work in a fast-paced physically demanding environment.
Mechanical & equipment aptitude considered an asset.
Ability to self organize, take detailed notes, and accomplish tasks with minimal supervision.
Knowledge of scientific principles and concepts related to the role.
- Technical proficiency, collaboration with others, and independent thought.
- Ability to effectively communicate in English; clearly express ideas in written and oral communications.
- Ability to exercise judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Problem solving attitude; Willingness to learn & work as part of a team to accomplish shared goals.
- Ability to prioritize workload and allocate time/resources accordingly.
- Demonstrated ability to follow policies, SOPs, GLP and instructions.
- Demonstrated ability to take detailed notes and maintain excellent records of experiment data in an organized matter (written and electronic).
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and in a team setting; strong self-starter work ethic/attitude.
- Ability to adapt and thrive in an entrepreneurial, growing, and changing work environment.
This is a full-time role. General workdays are Monday to Friday, with the requirement for flexibility to work weekends (for scientific experiments), when needed.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and a brief cover letter indicating why you feel you are a fit for this role to email@example.com. Please indicate Lab Assistant in the subject line.
We would like to thank all applicants who apply. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, thank you.
About Renaissance BioScience Corp.
Renaissance BioScience Corp. is a privately held, global, industry leading biological engineering company based in Vancouver, Canada. Renaissance develops functional, market-ready microorganisms for the global food and beverage, agriculture, chemicals, and healthcare industries. The wholly owned commercial subsidiaries of Renaissance BioScience Corp. include Renaissance Yeast Inc., which commercializes H2S-preventing wine yeast; Renaissance Ingredients Inc., which commercializes acrylamide-reducing baker’s yeast; and Bright Brewers Yeast Inc., which commercializes beer yeast technologies.