Renaissance BioScience is looking for a proactive and collaborative Lab & Scientific Projects Manager to join our R&D team. This role will be based out of our offices located on the University of British Columbia’s main campus in beautiful Vancouver, BC.
Reporting to the CSO, the Lab & Scientific Projects Manager will be responsible for coordinating the effective utilization of laboratory resources (personnel, equipment, and time) to facilitate the efficient and successful execution of Renaissance’s R&D projects.
Renaissance BioScience Corp. is a privately held, global, industry leading biological engineering company based in Vancouver, Canada. Renaissance develops functional, market-ready microorganisms for the global food and beverage, agriculture, chemicals, and healthcare industries.
Are you someone who likes to work in a fast paced environment, thrives on multitasking and enjoys helping others? Our ideal candidate is a strong communicator and project manager.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Curating all aspects of lab operations including:
- Inventory and ordering of routine and specialty lab consumables, chemicals, and reagents
- Preventative, routine, and repair maintenance
- GLP and SOPs
- Sample and culture collection inventory
- Shipping and receiving
- Communication with 3rd party suppliers, vendors, contractors, etc.
- In conjunction with the CSO and CFO, developing, maintaining, and reconciling a lab budget
- Identifies, plans, and implements improvements to the lab to drive gains in efficiency, productivity and cost savings.
- Generates certificates of quality analysis (COAs) and specification sheets from data for various samples/products tested.
- Works collaboratively with senior management, especially the CSO, to monitor lab operations providing written and verbal reporting.
- Administers and monitors HR related systems for lab staff, including:
- Reviews final timesheets for the lab staff to ensure they are accurate and complete
- Assists with the onboarding of new lab employees
- Oversees vacation and sick day leave for lab staff
- Works collaboratively with the accounting and administration team to ensure the coordination of lab and business activities.
- Administers and monitors the laboratory and workplace chemical, biological, hazardous materials, and the general safety program, including:
- Ensures Renaissance is meeting all regulations and codes with respect to safety including leading the Company’s Safety Committee.
- Coordinates all WHMIS, safety, first aid, and other training.
- Prepares and maintains all safety documents (e.g. MSDS, EMP, SOPs, and hazard assessment, etc.).
- Identifies and controls hazardous materials & ensures lab personnel's awareness of hazardous materials.
- Conducts a monthly lab inspection, annual internal audits and follows up with audit deficiencies and lab incidents.
- Advises senior management on lab and office safety.
- Manages and mentors the Lab Assistant to ensure the smooth and efficient operation of the lab.
- Works with the CSO to develop and consistently maintain a holistic understanding of all R&D projects including the scope, timing, and required resources and deliverables.
- Translates broad project, technical and/or commercial objectives into detailed and actionable project plans with well-documented scope, objectives, experimental plans, key resources, deliverables, milestones, success criteria, key personnel, and timelines.
- Employs project management tools and best practices to effectively manage multiple concurrent projects.
- Continually monitors project progress to ensure internal and partner-driven project objectives, deliverables, timelines, and budgets are being met.
- Monitors and reports on project progress by identifying, capturing, and analyzing key performance indicators and cost metrics.
- Coordinates the timely and accurate reporting of project progress to key internal and external stakeholders as required by the project plan.
Education & Experience Required:
- BSc in a related field, and at least 4 years’ experience managing a research laboratory.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) training is an asset.
- GLP, QA/QC, and industrial lab management experience is a consideration.
- Demonstrated understanding of how scientific R&D departments integrate and collaborate to meet R&D and commercial objectives.
- Demonstrated success in identifying, planning, implementing and maintaining efficient operational management systems.
- Demonstrated success in identifying, planning, implementing and maintaining efficient project management plans and systems for both single and concurrent projects.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and present in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize project and operational data into actionable summaries for decision-making in support of corporate goals.
- Demonstrated problem solving and critical thinking skills including troubleshooting operational and project plans so as to develop new and/or optimize existing systems.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and oversee a departmental budget as it relates to lab and scientific project management.
- A strong work ethic to prioritize, coordinate and complete individual and team assignments under tight deadlines in a fast paced collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and coordinate excellent records for all lab operations functions including lab notebooks, inventory, equipment, maintenance, waste disposal, reagents, culture collections, sample records, specification sheets, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and in a team setting; strong self-starter work ethic/attitude.
- Demonstrated success effectively leading and mentoring junior scientific staff to accomplish goals and celebrate their successes.
This is a full-time role. General workdays are Monday to Friday, with the requirement for flexibility to work weekends, as required.
How to Apply:
Please email your resume and a brief cover letter indicating why you feel you are a fit for this role to email@example.com. Please indicate Lab & Scientific Projects Manager in the subject line.
We would like to thank all applicants who apply. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, thank you.